Escondido Educational COMPACT

Taking an oath. Seniors Sophia Castellanos, Ariadnna Garcia, Adielly Lara, Kevin Lam, and Cesar Robles, are getting sworn in by a judge. These students are involved in Youth Court, a program run by COMPACT. They had trained to become attorneys and had defended juveniles at Youth Court.

Escondido Education COMPACT works to help the community. COMPACT has many types of programs. They provide academic support, leadership development, health and wellness, prevention and intervention, and workforce development programs.

COMPACT also runs a diversion program called Youth Court. Youth Court is located at City hall in the council chambers. Youth Court is a diversion program that allows first-time youth offenders to be tried and represented by their peers at their sentencing hearing. These are actual cases where a youth offender arrested in the city of Escondido has pleaded guilty the crime they committed. In most cases, the crime committed is a misdemeanor. One could participate in youth court most commonly by being a juror. A juror would sit and hear the trial and evaluate what was presented during the case and the jury would decide a sentence for the offender. This educational process gives youth offenders a chance to hear and speak out for each other while learning more about the judicial system.

To reduce the number of juveniles that would be likely to re-offend, COMPACT has a cannabis abuse workshop that helps teens. This six-week workshop is for juveniles who have begun using marijuana. The workshop series will include group and one-on-one sessions to help a juvenile stay sober and get back on track at school and home. This workshop is currently only available to high school students. Some of the topics of the sessions will include the danger of marijuana, teenage brain on weed, truth about medical marijuana, goal setting, and refusal skills.

“Helping hands is where teens come together from different schools around Escondido and give back to the community” Kevin Lam, 12, said.

One of COMPACT’s community service programs runs is Helping Hands, which is a teen service club for high school students in Escondido. It encourages service learning, addressing civic and social needs, and developing relationships and leadership skills among youth. There are many other things that helping hands helps our community. Helping Hands helps with some of the fairs at elementary schools, the street fairs on Grand Avenue, service events at city hall, events at Center for the Arts, hygiene and can food drives and much more around Escondido.

Compact helps run other programs such as Conservation fellows, Job Shadow day, North County Tattoo Removal, Family Intervention Team, Girls Rock and much more. COMPACT does a lot for the city of Escondido they are just not known. For more information visit https://www.educationcompact.org/

“Making the community stronger and Create opportunities and having the community come together.” COMPACT Staff Member and Helping Hands Supervisor Carolina Ruiz said.